Have you been faced with looking for a job or perhaps found yourself in a career transition? Networking questions is your anwser and we have great to get your started. Are you going through this life change now?
You might have realized that networking is critical to your search and you work endlessly to arrange face-to-face meetings with every friend, professional acquaintance and corporate bigwig you can think of. That is a good thing, but it is only the first step. More importantly is knowing what to say when you arrive.
Preparing an agenda before each meeting will maximize your efforts by helping the meeting participants maintain focus on what needs to be accomplished during this time, as well as providing some direction for next steps. Jeff Lay gave a great tool for an agenda in a talk he gave at ExecuNet, called TEPE (pronounced tee-pee). Thank them, Express the Purpose and set the Expectations for the meeting.
Questions When Networking
You will also want to have a good list of questions that are tailored your personal situation and speaking style. Here are some suggested questions that may be helpful to you in formulating your own:
What Work Is Like
- Could you describe a typical workday?
- What skills are required in your position on a day-to day basis?
- What parts of your job do you find most challenging?
- Despite these challenges, what motivates you to remain? What do you find most enjoyable?
- Are there any dangers I should be aware of?
- How often do you work past 6 p.m. and on weekends?
- Which seasons of the year are toughest in your job?
- I’d like to walk through and see with my own eyes where the work is done here. Can that be arranged?
State of the Industry
- Is this field growing?
- Are too many or too few people entering this profession?
- What developments on the horizon could affect future opportunities?
- This Industry has changed dramatically in the past five years. What have you seen from inside your company?
- How frequently do layoffs occur? How does it affect the morale of employees?
- Why do people leave this field or company?
- Who are the most important people in the Industry today?
- Which companies have the best track record for promoting women and minorities?
- Are there opportunities for self-employment in your field? Where?
Money and Advancement
- What would be my earnings potential, if I entered this field?
- How would a promotion be earned?
- How did you get your job?
- If you could start all over again, would you change your career path in any way? Why?
- How long does it take for managers to rise to the top?
- What is the background of most senior-level executives?
Skills and Experience
- What educational preparation would you recommend for someone who wants to advance in this field?
- What qualifications do you seek in a new hire?
- How do most people enter this profession?
- Which of my skills are strong compared to other job hunters in this field?
- What do you think of the experience I’ve had so far? For what types of positions would it qualify me?
- What you do think of my resume? How would you suggest I change it?
- Can you recommend any courses I should take before proceeding further with my job search?
- What companies might be interested in hiring someone with my background?
- Considering my background, how well do you think I would fit in this company and/or profession?
- How does your company compare with others we’ve discussed?
- Would the work involve any lifestyle changes, such as frequent travel, or late-night business entertaining?
- Considering all the people you’ve met in your line of work, what personal attributes are essential for success?
- Taking into account my skills, education, and experience, what other career paths would you suggest I explore before making a final decision?
- Where can I write to get up-to-date information on salaries, employers, and industry’s issues?
- What professional journals and organizations should I be aware of?
- Is there anything else you think I need to know?
- Who else would recommend I speak with? When I call, may I use your name?
Other Career Coaching Blogs You Might Like: