Our team recently sat down to watch, How Great Leaders Inspire Action, a TED talk of Simon Sinek. It was a great experience to be reminded that our day to day lives and business must have a ‘WHY’ behind it to be fully effective and impactful. Your business can, will, and should be motivated by the ‘WHY’ vs. your “HOW’ and ‘WHAT’. Your customers and clients are – shouldn’t you?
Here are some key takeaways in the following video:
- Every company knows WHAT they do, some companies know HOW they do what they do, but few know WHY their organization exists.
Example: Centennial’s WHY – Making a difference in the lives of our clients, their businesses, their families and community.
- The goal is to sell/engage people who believe what you believe, hire people who believe what you believe – do not sell to people what you have or how you deliver but focus on WHY.
- People don’t buy what you do, they buy why you do it.
- Those who LEAD, inspire us – we follow those who lead because we want to, not because we have to – not for them, but for us.
- It is extremely valuable to remember Stephen Covey’s 7th Habit in his book, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, “Sharpening the Saw” is critically important for us all.
At Centennial, the “WHY” is making a difference in the lives of others. The organizations we seek to represent and partner with understand this and believe it. Certainly there have been times when we all focus on HOW or WHAT because customers take us there or you allow yourselves to be stuck there.
Simon Sinek helps you step back and realize what motivates us and what is behind the way we think, how we feel and what makes us respond. Best 18 minutes you could spend with your leadership team, organization and/or yourself. Invest in yourself so you can invest in others!
How are we communicating and what are the conversations we are having?
Are we communicating the “what” or the “why”?
Are we inspiring leaders?