For the last several weeks, back-to-school sales have overtaken stores of every shape and size. They know students will come, armed with a long list of required supplies, to stock up for the school year. These purchases are meant to prepare and equip the students for the work ahead. This is a good exercise we can take into the workplace. What equipment do you need to do your best? How are you filling your “leadership backpack?”
Supplies for a Lifetime
Some of the supplies a good leader needs cannot be purchased at a store. Rather, these are traits that are honed over a lifetime.
Other supplies might be as easy as reading a book or listening to a podcast.
No matter where you are today, the key is to know that you need to be equipped and to recognize the tremendous value you can gain from the wisdom of other people. People all around you can help fill your backpack with the right leadership supplies. Learn from them and let them into your life – whether it’s face-to-face, through a book or through a podcast.
What’s On “The List?”
Schools provide a list of supplies to fill backpacks. Leaders need a list, too. We’ll get you started. Fortunately, you don’t need a U-Haul for these supplies. Just grab a few of these things and get going.
Traits to Equip Yourself With:
- Genuine care
Books To Equip Yourself With:
- Detours by Tony Evans
- The Way of the Shepherd by Kevin Leman and William Pentak (read our review!)
- The Five Dysfunctions of a Team by Patrick Lencioni (hear him speak May 10, 2019 at Leadercast!)
- Team of Teams by General Stanley McChrystal and Tantum Collins
- Herding Tigers by Todd Henry
Podcasts to Equip Yourself With:
- Talent Magnet Institute Podcast, hosted by Mike Sipple Jr.
- Leadership and Loyalty, hosted by Dov Baron
- Lead to Win, hosted by Michael Hyatt
- Impact Makers Podcast, hosted by Jennifer McClure
Preparation is an important part of leadership. Set yourself up for success and fill your leadership backpack. Then, get ready for a great year!